Founded in 1994, 1000 Friends of Maryland is the state's leading voice for smart growth. Please join us to
Honor the Past & Showcase the Future
Help us recognize the leaders whose hard work has given us thriving downtowns, bustling main streets, and strong working rural lands.
Then meet the visionaries taking us into the future as we continue the effort to create vibrant communities, keep farmers farming, and support a resilient economy and a healthy environment.
Mark you calendars for our 20th anniversary celebration at Union Wharf, 915 Wolfe Street in Fells Point.
April 23, 2014 6pm to 8pm
Ticket sales to start next week.
For sponsorship opportunities, click here.
1000 Friends is supporting legislation that will create nine new Wildlands and expand fourteen existing Wildlands. Wildlands are state-owned properties that have retained their wilderness character or are home to rare plants and animals. They are great places for enjoying nature! Best of all, the Wildlands designation assures that these special places are preserved for the enjoyment of future generations.
One of our favorites is the Mattawoman Wildland in Charles County, the only place on Maryland’s Western Shore where the American lotus grows. We are excited that the proposed legislation will expand the Mattawoman Wildland and designate almost 700 acres of nearby Chapman Forest as a new Wildland.
Years ago, we fought alongside numerous organizations to save Chapman Forest from development. Thanks to the coalition’s hard work and the support of Governor Glendening, visitors to Chapman State Park enjoy rich wildflower displays, the state’s largest Glade Fern bed and a variety of magnificent birds – including bald eagles! Click HERE to find the Wildland closest to you and HERE to see the list of proposed Wildlands.
1000 Friends has created a ten-step platform for achieving a vibrant future, a future that includes the following:
- Maryland has vibrant cities and towns that support large and small businesses and are great places to live for people of all ages and incomes.
- Maryland has a world class transportation system that provides transportation choices for affordable and efficient access to jobs, schools, services, and recreation.
- Maryland has a healthy environment that results in a bountiful Chesapeake and Coastal Bays, clean rivers and creeks, and clean air.
- Maryland has a resilient, diverse and sustainable economy that uses tax dollars efficiently and creates conditions that support job growth.
- Maryland’s rural lands are economically strong and support farms to feed the region, lands for hunting, critical wildlife habitats and recreation.
Click HERE for the complete vision and our 10 steps to a vibrant future.